13 August 2007

Volver and rambling thoughts about sustainability


With all this time spent with my feet up this summer, I got a Netflix subscription. Well worth it, IMO, and I will probably upgrade to 2 at a time next month. Last night, I watched "Volver" while working on the first sleeve of the Alpaca-Silk Shrug and I now understand people who copy movie sweaters. The green cardigan Penelope Cruz is wearing in the last 10 minutes or so is gorgeous (and she is definitely wearing it at least one size too small!). I think it would be eminently knitable (is that a word?) and look very attractive, not at all dowdy... I wish I could get a good picture of the neckline edging as it seems to have a nice wave to it and I am not sure how I would knit that. This is so geeky, isn't it? We'll see if I ever give this a shot. It will need some time devoted to really planning pattern and dimensions that I usually don't have, but it is quite tempting.

I've also been reading a bit of non-fiction lately about the sustainability of the American way of growing and eating food and thinking quite a lot about whether and how I want to change the ways my family consumes those resources and whether we want to apply those ideas to other types of consumer goods: emphasizing locally produced products and goods which give back a decent earning to the people who produced them and do no or minimal damage to the environment. The kids are clearly beginning to be concerned that their dad and I are going to be utterly wacko about it, but I'm sure we won't be as neither of us has the energy at the moment to add many more tasks or complications to our lives. It is interesting to contemplate, and I will probably try to research it at some point, whether it would even be possible to just consume American union-made items and eat only food grown nearby (this latter I am pretty sure we could do as we live only a mile from our CSA and have several other sources very close by for eggs- and free-range meat, if we weren't vegetarians). Localharvest.org is searchable by zip code and really useful, I've found. Anyway, I can highly recommend both books, and despite linking to Amazon for convenience as always, it's probably better to buy them locally or get them out of the library like I did, blah-blah-blah:

The Omnivore's Dilemma

and

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

1 comment:

Donna Lee said...

I love netflix. We have seen so many movies we wouldn't have picked up at the store. Some have been good and others, well, enuf said.
When my girls were small, we decided we would give up fast food until they stopped using styrofoam clamshells for their food. This was hard because chicken nuggests were a favorite then. It took a few years (and they wrote letters) but McDonald's came around and started to use paper. Now they avoid it because of their girlish figures.